There has been a tavern on this site since 1868 when local farmer Nicholas Carolan allowed his son Thomas to build a
licensed premises cum grocery on part of his agricultural holding of St. Edmunds. The seascape of Clontarf at that time
was spoiled by the presence of an ugly sea wall and muddy foreshore, a pattern that was echoed in some rather unsavoury looking local thatched dwellings.
the yacht is one of Dublin’s most renowned pubs and a well known Clontarf landmark.
In 1950 Tipperaryman Michael Tobin paid £23,500 for this
old hostelry – a figure that received national publicity at
that time. In later years Michael was joined in the business
by son Richard, an avid thespian, who along with his wife,
Deirdre Scott-Lennon, undertook a wondrous
maritime-style refurbishment here in the early 1990s.
In recent years the premises has undergone a gigantic
transformation under the ownership of the O’ Malley
Group. Today the historic Yacht is a pub, whose makeover
very distinctly carries the imprint of the O’ Malley standard.
we are open
MON – THU: 10.30 – 23.30
FRI – SAT: 10.30 – 00.30
SUN: 11.00 – 23.00
73 CLONTARF ROAD, CLONTARF
T: +353 1 833 6364
E: INFO (AT) THE YACHT BAR.IE
For information on work vacancies
E: careers (AT) omalleygroup.org