|The Yacht Bar and Restuarant
73 Clontarf Road, Clontarf, Dublin.
T: 01 833 6364
For Bookings email:
For work vacancies email:
Clontarf is most famous for giving the name to the Battle of Clontarf in 1014, in which Brian Boru, High King of Ireland, defeated the Vikings of Dublin and their allies, the Irish of Leinster and for its world famous beach front promenade. The Battle of Clontarf is seen as marking an end to the Irish-Viking Wars. The Irish version of the suburb name (Cluain Tarbh) literally means “The meadow of the bull”.
Clontarf lies on one side of the estuary of the River Tolka, one of Dublins main threes rivers. The Naniken River reaches the sea at the Raheny end of the district marking the civil parish boundary.
One of Dublin’s largest parks, St Anne’s Park, lies between Clontarf and Raheny.
The Bull Island, also shared with Raheny, is connected to Clontarf by an historic wooden bridge. While most of the island is city property, the (North) Bull Wall and breakwater, related road and path, and Bull (Wooden) Bridge belong to the Dublin Port Company, and are closed for a day each year to assert this. At the end of the breakwater is a statue of Our Lady, Star of the Sea (Realt na Mara), to watch over mariners and dockworkers.
Following the defeat of the Vikings and the Leinstermen, Clontarf enjoyed relative peace for over 100 years until the arrival of the Normans in 1172. Shortly afterwards, Clontarf was granted to Adam de Pheypo, a follower of Strongbow. He built the first Clontarf Castle.
In the early 19th century, Clontarf had become a popular holiday resort for the citizens of Dublin, who came out from the city to enjoy bathing in the sea or in the hot and cold seawater baths erected by Mr. Brierly. A horse omnibus service from the city was started and Clontarf became a fashionable place to live.
View The Yacht Bar Clontarf in a larger map